Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Toy Review: My Pals Scout and Violet

I have mixed feelings about children's toys that play music or make sounds at the push of a button. The biggest plus is that the sounds draw the kids in. The biggest minus is that hearing the same sounds and/or songs over and over again will make the parents die a little inside. So if you're going to get a toy that could potentially drive you crazy, I recommend the My Pal doggies from LeapFrog.

myPals_scoutAndViolet
My Pals Scout and Violet, image from LeapFrog.com

There are two options—the green puppy named Scout and the purple puppy named Violet. They are sold separately, but I have one of each because I have a boy/girl set of fraternal twins.

Made by: LeapFrog
Recommended age: 6–36 months
Warning for parents: You may find yourself singing along to all of the songs whether you want to or not.

One thing I appreciate about these two options is that Scout is typically for boys and Violet is typically for girls, but they don't have to be. The neat features that come with this toy can be set up for either gender on either toy.


BreakingBad_sayMyName
Breaking Bad gif, thanks Tumblr

Say My Name.

That super neat feature is that the My Pals can be hooked up to your computer or mobile device and programed to say your child's name, which is incorporated into songs they sing and things they say. You even have the option to have the toy spell out your child's name in a song.





PROS:

  • Has three separate sound buttons on the paws (the fourth is to turn it on/off)
    • There is a pretty good variety of sounds and songs, so you'll tire of them way less quickly than many other toys with sound that I've heard
  • Program your child's name into the toy
    • I especially love that the My Pal will spell out the name in song
  • Can also program your child's favorite animal, color and food, which is also incorporated into things that the My Pal says and sings
    • Obviously, it's a little hard to get these favorites out of someone who can't speak yet, but you can always change it later as they contradict your initial best guess
  • The collar with the name lights up, which captures your child's attention even more
  • It's still a stuffed animal, and even though I wouldn't recommend you leave it in their cribs...
    • Soft and light enough for kids to handle
    • Safe when they drop it
    • They can snuggle it and give it kisses
  • Things with sounds keep the kids occupied
  • Things with music can make your kids dance
  • The night songs feature on the foot will sing your children to sleep
    • Can be set for five, ten or fifteen minutes and will shut off automatically

I recommend watching the video provided by LeapFrog. You can even hear what My Pal sounds like (Scout and Violet have the same voice, which, as my husband pointed out, bears a striking resemblance to the voice of Aang (Zach Tyler) from the animated television series Avatar: The Last Airbender).

CONS:
grinch_noiseNoiseNoiseGif
Grinch gif, courtesy of Tumblr

  • The Grinch put it best when he spoke of all that Noise! Noise! Noise! Noise!
  • The pause before My Pal says the child's name is a little awkward (you can hear it in the LeapFrog video)
    • Counter-con: this, however, is not a surprise and is even kind of funny, especially when you start singing along with the awkward pause
  • Children's names can be limited and unusual ones may not be available
    • My daughter's name, Winry, for instance was not available, but her nickname, Winnie was
      • Counter-con: I could still have the My Pal spell out W-I-N-R-Y for the song
    • Counter-con: you can always use a term of endearment that is available like Sweetie


To Prevent Grinchy Noise! Syndrome:

Make it a sometimes toy and/or nighttime song toy.

After we first got the My Pals, we let the kids have complete access to them during playtime, which meant we heard the My Pals a lot. When it started becoming a little too much NOISE! NOISE! NOISE! NOISE! I put the My Pals up next to their changing pad.

Henry and Scout - Changing Pad
Henry plays with Scout on the changing pad

This was a great alternative because then they could play with it in shorter bursts for my sanity, and it would captivate them while I changed them—so much less sitting up or rolling over while extracting a poopy diaper (at 14 months, they can otherwise easily sit up and roll over).

I almost always use the nighttime songs when they take a nap or go to bed too. It's great to have song mechanisms these days that turn off automatically on their own.


More Babies with My Pals!
Winry and Henry with Violet and Scout
Winry and Henry with Violet and Scout

Violet and Winry - Push Button
Buttons easy to push for tiny fingers

Henry and Scout - Standing
Henry looks down on Scout, in a good way

Henry holding Scout
Light enough for easy baby-lifting

Winry and Henry with Violet and Scout - light up and snuggle
Winry lights up Violet's collar while Henry snuggle-tackles Scout

Henry and Scout - sloppy kisses
Henry has got some sloppy kisses for Scout... or he is eating him, maybe?
Winry bops to Violet
Winry grooving to the music
... with an oddly serious expression

No comments:

Post a Comment