Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Toy Review: Squigz

It's hard to know what to buy for infants and toddlers unless you've had an infant or toddler. Even then, toys change so often, and it's hard to know what's really awesome and what's just kinda meh.

I would definitely put Squigz under the awesome column.

squigz_amazon
Squigz Starter 24 piece set by Fat Brain Toy Co., image from Amazon.com

I was first introduced to them when my adorable, little niece received some for her first birthday. My inner child took one look at them and went, "Ooo—I want."

They are colorful, multi-shaped bits of silicone with suction cup ends. What's fun is that they can stick to each other as well as other surfaces.

Made by: Fat Brain Toys
Recommended age: 3+ years*
Tagline that makes me smile: fun little suckers!

*Since this is a building toy with multiple pieces and takes some coordination and creativity, I assume that is why the manufacturer recommends the age at three and above. I recommend it for one-year-olds and maybe even a little younger. My only warning at this age is to give it to them under supervision so you don't lose the pieces or risk them gagging on it because, yes, they will definitely want to chew them. Everything in the starter set seemed to pass the cardboard tube rule, but there's no harm in being a little extra cautious.

squigz_starterSet
What's included in the starter 24 piece set, image from fatbraintoys.com

My children first started playing with them when they were about one-year-old. They aren't quite ready to start building with them yet, and they haven't quite figured out how to stick them to other surfaces. But they sure love to chew on them and unstick whatever I stick together.

squigz_WinryChewing
Winry demonstrates the silicone chewiness

PROS:
  • Fun for just about any age
    squigz_foreheadSuction
    Sticks to multiple surfaces (like Henry and me)
    • children 3+ years: encourages creativity and fine motor skills
    • under 3 years: fun to chew, swing around or pull apart
    • adults: I love making abstract shapes for my children to destroy
  • Silicone makes it great for teething babies to chew
  • Silicone also makes it easy to clean
    • I throw mine in a dishwasher basket
  • Comes in different set sizes so you can always choose to expand later
    • Don't have to worry about more than one person getting it for your child (the more, the merrier)
  • Sticks to multiple surfaces
    • The tray of the highchair is a great place when mealtime gets a little fussy
This video from the manufacturer makes some great points:


    CONS:
    Honestly, there really isn't anything of significance. If I were really reaching...

    • The Squigz don't always hold together as well as the video makes it seem, but it's still entirely possible to make a big shape without it falling apart
      • It's probably easier when babies aren't constantly trying to grab at it
    Why it is not a real con: My husband once complained that they're not sturdy enough to make a big structure. To which I responded, "Then you're not building them right."


    No comments:

    Post a Comment